Simple Old-Fashioned Brownies from 1932
This old-fashioned brownies recipe dates back to 1932, but it's definitely withstood the test of time. Mixed up all in one bowl and ready to eat within an hour!
Servings: 16 slices
Cost: $0.25 per slice
- 2 1/3 cups pastry flour 250 g; all purpose flour is fine too
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 10 g
- 2 cups sugar 400 g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated chocolate or 3/4 cup cocoa powder 60 g
- 1/2 cup melted butter 110 g
- 4 eggs large or extra large
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts 60 g; optional
Mix sugar, chocolate and melted butter; add eggs and beat.
Add flour, baking powder, and chopped nuts.
Spread 1/2 inch thick on a lightly greased 8×8 baking pan. (An 8" round pan also works.)
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cut into squares while still warm.